MusicPro (UK) Group News - 28th November 2011

David Bowie Stage Musical Will Not Go Ahead!

David Bowie

Representatives from David Bowie‘s camp have issued a press release denying yesterday's reports in a UK newspaper that the singer had given his permission for a musical based on his music to go forward.

On Sunday November 27th 2011, the Guardian newspaper reported that, "A David Bowie musical titled ‘Heroes’ will premiere at the IndigO2 venue, inside London’s former Millennium Dome, in March 2012" and that "Bowie has approved the futuristic musical based on his hits."

The musical’s writer Deep Singh told the Guardian, "We couldn't really believe it when they gave us permission. His people warned us that it was very unlikely that he would be interested and that he had been asked many times before."

Singh believed that Bowie had given consent based on the fact that his story is not a nostalgic tribute, but instead is set in the future, aiming to show the timeless relevance of Bowie’s lyrics and said that, "Heroes will feature more than 30 performers and include about 20 Bowie tunes, including classics like The Man Who Sold The World, The Jean Genie, Let’s Dance and, of course, the title track.

The Mitch Schneider Organization, Bowie’s public relations firm, has now issued the following statement:- "Neither the David Bowie Organization, nor its co-publishers EMI Music and Chrysalis, has issued a license for a Bowie musical at the O2, as has been reported in the U.K. There are no negotiations pending for a long-running musical featuring the music of Mr. Bowie."

Heroes would have been the first ever full-scale musical dedicated to the music of Bowie.

News Navigation Previous NewsNext

Click HERE to go to the MusicPro 'Live' News!